Uber vs Lyft vs Limousines
There are a few new disruptive businesses in the transportation industry these days, but just because they’re new doesn’t mean they’re better. Here’s an in-depth look at Uber, Lyft, and a traditional limousine service so you can decide for yourself.
UBER & LYFT PROS
- Now passengers can hail a car from the comfort of their home, an office, or somewhere else and have a car to them in minutes.
- Third-party intermediary. Both Uber and Lyft remove the need for money to exchange hands and give both the passenger and driver peace of mind.
- With a much quicker vetting process and an influx of new drivers, more people on the outskirts of major metropolitan areas and suburbs have greater access.
UBER & LYFT CONS
- Surge pricing. Roundly criticized, “surge pricing” or “primetime” pricing is the practice of increasing the fair during high-volume periods with prices sometimes doubling or even tripling and making them effectively unaffordable.
- Trip cancellations. This can lead to a schedule disruption for passengers, which can lead to missed flights, etc.
- There are have some news articles that have called into question the safety of these services, like the shootings in Michigan by an Uber driver that killed six people.
- While service might have expanded outside of large metro areas, if you’re in a rural area, you still might not have access to Uber or Lyft.
- Questionable business tactics. Both Uber and Lyft have been in the news a lot for their disruption of the taxi industry, but have also come under fire for some aggressive hiring practices, driver lawsuits, and more.
LIMOUSINE SERVICE PROS
- Experienced drivers. Limousine drivers are highly trained, experienced service industry professionals that can assure a safe, enjoyable night out.
- Riding in a limousine can help set a mood and make an experience unforgettable.
- Scheduled pickups. A limo can be booked beforehand to have a driver waiting for you.
- Depending upon the number of passengers, a limo ride can actually be more cost-effective than Uber or Lyft.
- Limousine services require their drivers to be registered and licensed. The drivers will clean their car after each passenger and can ensure a consistent experience each ride.
LIMOUSINE SERVICE CONS
- If you’d prefer to get from Point A to Point B without any interest, a limo might be too conspicuous and draw too much attention. Stretch limousines with tinted windows especially draw attention from onlookers.
- Plan ahead. Getting a limousine on demand can be hard, which means you’ll likely need to book ahead, but the other side of the coin is that they’re extremely reliable. If you have a limousine scheduled, you do not need to worry that your ride will be cancelled.
Let us know in the comments which option you prefer!